The requirement for Spain visa is not much different from other Schengen country since Spain is also part of the Schengen states. In fact, with a single valid Schengen visa you can visit Spain as well as other interesting countries in Europe. After all, who doesn’t want to have lunch in Spain and have dinner in France all on the same day.Europe is ridiculously well connected on both land as well as in air and it makes travelling around Europe a breeze. There can be various reasons to travel to European countries, if you are looking forward to travel to Spain for any reason then here is detailed information on the requirements you would have to plan to get your Schengen visa successfully. Spain Visa which is inclusive within a Schengen Visa has a checklist, mandatory documents and rules and regulations. This article is an attempt to enable you to get all the information needed to fill theSpain visa application form and list of mandatory documents you would require during your visa process.
First of all, you need to jot down the basic requirements of your travel, such as –
- Planned date of travel to Spain (If you are attempting for a short stay visa then it cannot be more than 90 days, if you are looking for Spain student visa, then you can look at our article about Spain student visa)
- Do you have any plans of traveling to some other country during the course of time between the date of application and date of travel to Spain? Specify it if any with the Country name and dates, it is always good to mention that you have the travel visa to that specified country if you have it with you already.
Here is the list of minimum documentation required for Spain Visa processing –
- Spain visa application form (duly filled of course.)
- A Covering letter (containing your travel itinerary and plan)
- Travel insurance policy
- Travel itineraries (Either a flight ticket or flight reservation)
- Financial Proof (About 70 Euros for every day you stay in Spain)
- Authorization Letter (This could be a no object letter/leave approval letter from your employer)
Want temporary flight, hotel or insurance for your Schengen visa?
Get Flight, hotel & Insurance @ just $60.60 Only
We have several templates that should ease your documents for visa application. you can get them from here.
- Your passport must have expiry date at least 3 months beyond the stay in Spain
- There should be at least 2 blank pages in the passport
- A photocopy of both current and previous passports if you have any
- A passport size photograph – 4.5cm X 3.5cm
- The background must be plain white
- The photograph must not be older than 6 months
Schengen Visa Application form –
NOTE: WE STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU FILL THE ONLINE FORM AND TAKE A PRINT OUT OF IT FOR YOUR VISA PROCESSING. READ OUR ARTICLE ON HOW TO FILL SCHENGEN VISA ONLINE IN 5 MINUTES.
- The Visa application must be either filled with a blue pen or can be filled online followed by print out. Here is a link to Online Spain visa application form – http://www.vfsglobal.com/spain/india/pdf/1_03_04_2012.pdf
- The applicant must provide their original signature in the form on page 3 and page 4.
- The applicant must also carry 2 photocopies of the duly filled Visa application form.
- The application must be submitted at the embassy of Spain at New Delhi or Mumbai (For Indian applicants)
- The application fee must be paid through bank draft in favor of EMBASSY OF SPAIN, NEW DELHI or CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN, MUMBAI(For Indian applicants)
Covering Letter –
Covering letter must have your personal details like the purpose of travel with traveling to and from dates.
Travel Insurance Policy –
- Travel Insurance declaration signed by the applicant
- Travel insurance issued based on the EU guidelines
- It should cover atleast 30,000 Euros or $50,000
- The insurance must be valid until 15 days of your return date, back to India
Travel Itineraries for Tourism purpose –
- A confirmed Flight ticket booking or Flight reservation for Spain visa from a travel agent. A flight ticket need not be booked in advance for a visa. Once the visa is confirmed then a flight ticket may be purchased. The Embassy of Spain does not hold responsibility for the expenses or loss incurred if you buy a flight ticket in advance and your visa application is canceled. You can get your flight itinerary for Spain visa online here.
Flight itinerary is a safer way of submitting a visa application without buying an actual flight ticket which is expensive if your visa is refused. In fact, the European Union visa requirements for visa states the same.
As per the official document,
Round trip reservation or itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Schengen state. Some Schengen authorities accept the itinerary when applying for the visa but request the original airticket when visa is collected.
- If you are planning to travel to any other country other than Spain, Then you need to have flight itineraries for each and every location. You can read everything about the flight itinerary for visa application here.
- Hotel booking, hostel reservations for Spain visa, Or any other country that you are planning to stay. So you will need to make all the hotel bookings and reservations before you leave. Again you can use an online travel agent to make hotel reservations for visa applications for you without you having to swipe your card. This may not seem important but when you factor in all the currency conversions, filling up each and every form and HUGE cancellation fee if you can’t make it to one place then it is always reasonable to get it done through online agents. An added benefit is most of the travel agents charge you about $50 for the entire trip and not for each and every booking, which is a bargain when you factor in currency conversion charges. Read our post about hotel booking for visa here.
Financial Proof –
It highly important to show your financial stability to ensure the embassy of your capacity to hold all your expenses they’re on your own and return back safely to India. Hence you must provide the following documents –
- Your Salary slip of at least last 6 months
- Your personal bank statement for the last 3 months
- Income tax return filed for last 3 years or W-8 forms
- Your PAN card photocopy if available
Health Insurance –
You must also submit the health insurance covering all the medical expenses of minimum 30,000 Euros to 50,000$ during the stay of the applicant in Spain. This insurance is for any emergency purpose which can arise during the stay in Spain. Here is a sample traveling insurance covering up to 30,000 EU
Authorization letter –
An authorized letter by the applicant regarding their travel to Spain with their original signature.
Business trip to Spain –
If you are planning to travel to Spain on a business trip then you must have an invitation letter from the Spain Company for which you would work and a supporting letter from an Indian company too.
Family Visit –
If your travel to Spain is regarding a family or friend visit, then you must have the original invitation before Policia Nacional. You must also submit the attested copy of your passport and the residence card or DNI of the relative living in Spain.
Minor Applicants –
For minor applicants, one need to submit the passport copy of their parents, both the parents must sign the application form. A NOC must be provided if the minor is traveling with one parent or legal guardian. The Financial Proof of parents also must be submitted.
Student Visa –
If you are planning to visit Spain for higher studies or research purpose then you need to apply for Spain student visa. There are 3 types of student Spain Visa. Based on your duration of study period you can apply for any of these 3 visa types.
- Duration less than 90 days
- The duration between 90 days to 180 days
- Duration more than 180 days
Duration less than 90 days –
All the other above mentioned documents must be submitted along with Original admission letter from the recognized university, public or private center of Spain. They should also provide the Address, Contact person, telephone number, Email ID of the institute, date of course commencement, date of completion of course, a structure of the course. It should also include the code number assigned to the center by the ministry of education and science or by the ministry of industry, tourism or commerce.
You must also attach the photocopy of previous academic qualification. Complete financial planning also must be shared for a proper living like accommodation details (hotel reservation is not considered as an accommodation proof) and other financial needs to spend and live at Spain. These documents can either subject to the applicant or his/her parents. However, all of these documents must be signed by both the parents for authorization. Other than this, flight tickets for the entire travel must also be provided.
The duration between 90 days to 180 days –
For duration from 90 days to 180 days, one must submit all the above-mentioned documents with complete/original details.
Duration above 180 Days –
For people who are going to stay in Spain for more than 180 days must provide all the above-mentioned documents with original details, followed by an additional document of the medical certificate stating your current health conditions. The certificate must mention that “you are not suffering from any deadly disease or contagious disease and is normal to travel abroad”. The document must not be older than 3 months during submission.
Apart from this, you must also carry a police clearance certificate by the competent authority of India. In India, this certificate is issued by the Regional passport authority with the stamp of the ministry of external affairs of India. The same document must also be legalized by the ministry of foreign affairs and the Diplomatic mission of the country. As mentioned in the previous case, this document must also be lesser than 3 months old to be considered and legalized in the embassy of Spain.
In case if you have been residing in any other country during previous five years, then a criminal record certificate must also be generated, which should be legalized by the ministry of foreign affairs and diplomatic mission of the country situated in New Delhi?
Once you are ready with all such documents you can travel to Spain visa application form easily.