I have been to many places in Asia as a frequent backpacker and if there is one place where you can experience the “highlights of Asia”, then it has to be Malaysia. I used up my 10 days vacation in December 2019 to visit Malaysia and in this article I am going to explain how I got your Malaysia visa as an Indian passport holder at no cost with Blinkvisa.
Disclaimer: Although this article is written with my experience with using blinkvisa.com. I will let you know how you can get your visa with windowmalaysia.my as well .
This article is long, about 5000 words, but it is designed in a way that it should be easy for you to navigate , So click on any topic on the table of below and you will be redirected to that section.
Click on the blue arrow at bottom right and you will come back to the index. So read only the parts you are interested in
- Malaysia Visa – Basic Information
- How to get your Malaysia visa for free ?
- Malaysia eNTRI Visa
- Malaysia Single Entry Visa
- Malaysia Multiple Entry Visa
- 1-Year Malaysia Multiple Entry Visa
- Documents required for Malaysia visa for Indians
- Malaysia Visa On Arrival
- Can Indians Get Malaysia Visa On Arrival?
- Eligibility For A Malaysia Visa On Arrival?
- Entry Points For Malaysia Visa On Arrival Process
- Requirements For Malaysia Visa On Arrival
- Malaysia Visa On Arrival – Pros And Cons
- FAQ’s On Malaysia Visa On Arrival
- Malaysia Work Visa (Employment Pass)
- Documents needed for Malaysia Work Visa
- Malaysia work visa Fees
- Malaysia work visa processing time
- How to apply for Malaysia Work Visa
- Malaysia Student Visa
- Documents needed for Malaysia Student Visa
- Malaysia Student visa Fee
- Malaysia Student visa Processing Time
- How to Apply for Malaysia Student visa
- Beware of Fake Malaysia visa agents and scams
- How To Verify The Status Of My Malaysia EVISA Or Malaysia ENTRI Visa For Indian Citizens?
Malaysia Visa – Basic Information
Malaysia visa is an online paper visa which can be used for tourism, visit friends/relatives in Malaysia or for attending meetings or conferences. You need to take a colour printout of this visa and submit at the immigration.
It is very easy to get Malaysia visa, you do not have to visit any embassy & the documentation is not difficult. It will take you about 2 hours of time to apply for it online.
There are 4 types of Malaysia visa . 3 Malaysia visa can be applied online either yourself or with authorised agents such as blinkvisa.com. The different types of Malaysia visas are :
- Malaysia eNTRI visa.
- Malaysia 15 days Single Entry Visa.
- Malaysia 30 days Multiple Entry visa
- Malaysia 1 year Multiple Entry visa.
The 4th type of visa is Malaysia 1 year Multiple entry visa which cannot be applied online. you need to apply either through VFS or at the Malaysian embassy.
Different Malaysia visa types cost & processing time
|Malaysia eNTRI visa INFORMATION||Malaysia 15 Days Single Entry||Malaysia 30 days Multiple Entry visa||Malaysia 1 year visa|
|TOTAL DAYS OF STAY||15 Days Only||30 Days||30 Days||30 Days|
|VISA FEES IN INR||1980||3580||3780||7790|
|SINGLE/MULTIPLE ENTRY||Single Entry||Single Entry||Multiple Entry||Multiple Entry|
|CAN ENTER FROM||Direct flight from India, Singapore, Thailand only||Any country||Any country||Any country|
|PROCESSING TIME||1 day||2 to 7 days||2 to 7 days||5 to 8 days|
|VALIDITY||3 Months||3 Months||3 Months||1 year|
Which is the easiest Malaysia visa to get ?
The easiest and the recommended Malaysia visa to get is Malaysia eNTRI visa. The visa is instant visa and provided you do not make any mistakes in your visa application and have the right documents, you will get the visa approved the same day. But make sure you apply at least 48 hours before your travel.
This is really important and must be understood. If you apply for Malaysia eNTRI visa and have booked a flight ticket from Delhi to KL with a layover in Colombo. You will not be allowed to enter the flight with entri visa . You need to have direct flight from India to KL
Similarly if you have a return flight from KL to Dubai (any country other than India, Singapore or Thailand) , you cannot apply for eNTRI visa, you need to apply for Malaysia eVISA.
How to get your Malaysia visa for free ?
The Important part !!. As you know visa is an unnecessary expense when Indians are travelling abroad. But with blinkvisa.com, you can convert your visa expense into travel expense.
This is how it works with blinkvisa:
Step 1: Visit blinkvisa.com & enter your basic details & click on Get visa
Step 2: Select the right visa that you want and click “Apply for visa”
Step 3: Enter your information and pay an Initial fee of INR 500. Once you do you will get 100% cashback in your blinkwallet account.
How did my 100% cashback from blinkvisa Work?
Once I paid the initial payment, my visa process began, and As promised, I got my entire cashback to the BlinkWallet. The cashback or “Blinkcash” is in the form of digital currency and that is why you can use it only for bookings at the Blinkvisa portal.
In general I found blinkvisa to be 20% cheaper than the online suppliers. Here is a snapshot of some of the discounts:
Is Blinkvisa authorised to issue Malaysia visa ?
Yes. They are authorised agents who work directly with WindowMalaysia. See below confirmation mail sent from them.
So there is no difference in price between the two although you pay around INR 500 for your visa processing you will get the whole visa fee as cashback. so you save both time and money with blinkvisa
Malaysia eNTRI Visa
As explained earlier this is the easiest and the recommended Short for Electronic Travel Registration and Information, this visa is perfect if you’re planning for a short stay. I applied for this visa because it has zero formalities and procedures. All I had to do was fill the form with primary details and submit my requirements. Boom! Blinkvisa gave me my eNTRI registered in just 4 hours! The visa is valid for three months and you will be allowed to stay for 15 days.
If you leave even before completing the 15 days, you won’t be allowed back in.
i) Who is eligible for Malaysia eNTRI visa?
Malaysia eNTRI visa was introduced by the Malaysia Government exclusively for Indian and Chinese nationals. However, the most important eligibility is that you have to take a direct flight without any layovers except Thailand, Singapore or India.
I booked a flight from Bangalore to Malaysia via Singapore with a desire to explore a little bit of the famous Changi airport. The visa expert at Blinkvisa (a superb human being!) asked me to opt for eNTRI rather than a single entry eVisa and I was so delighted to have listened to him! I glided through the immigration in just 10 minutes and landed in Malaysia just in time to eat the famous Nasi Lemak for lunch.
ii) When to apply for eNTRI visa?
I booked my flight on February 2 and I applied for the visa on January 30th. While applying with Blinkvisa, one of the best things is that you have to pay just INR 200 as initial charges and then the remaining only after your eNTRI note is approved. The main purpose of Malaysia eNTRI visa for Indians is to help tourists who wish to travel within an emergency or urgency basis.
This is how my eNTRI permit looked like:
iii) What is the fee for eNTRI visa?
The fee of Malaysia eNTRI visa for Indians is INR 1980 (including the Blinkvisa charges and GST). As established, the eNTRI visa is not free and certain charges do apply.
Even though I was apprehensive about the cashback at first, I was so relieved when I got the entire INR 1980 credited to my Blinkvisa account! It’s not every day, you get back your visa expenses into planning the rest of your travel.
Difference between Malaysia eNTRI visa and Malaysia eVisa
- eNTRI visa is for 15 days whereas eVisa is for 30 days
- It is processed within a day (I got it in just 4 hours!) whereas eVisa is processed within 2 to 7 working days
- eNTRI is only for Indian and Chinese Nationals whereas eVisa is eligible for China, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, Serbia, Montenegro nationals
- One major difference is that for eNTRI you must take a direct flight from India without any layovers except Thailand or Singapore. For eVisa, you can travel from any country.
Malaysia Single Entry Visa
With the stay period of 30 continuous days, Malaysia Single entry visa is also a type of online visa that allows you to enter Malaysia only once. The validity of the visa is three months.
i) When to apply for Single entry visa?
It is always better to apply at least 15 days before your travel. When you apply a month or two before, your duration of stay reduces because the visa is valid from the date it is approved. Single entry takes 2 to 7 working days to process.
ii) What is the fee for Malaysia Single entry visa?
The fee for a single entry visa is INR 3580 including all the charges such as Blinkvisa fee and GST.
Comparatively, the reason I preferred eNTRI visa is that it is cheaper than eVisa.
Malaysia Multiple Entry Visa
As the name suggests, this type of visa allows you to enter Malaysia multiple times. This type of visa also allows you to stay for a maximum of 30 days once you have entered Malaysia.
The visa duration, however, cannot be extended once you have entered Malaysia, however, you can re-enter Malaysia multiple times after you have departed the country – but all these re-entries have to be within the 30 calendar day period of the original 30 days multiple entry eVISA approvals!
i) When to apply for a Multiple entry visa?
It is always better to apply at least 15 days before your travel. When you apply a month or two before, your duration of stay reduces because the visa is valid from the date it is approved. Just like Single entry, this visa also takes 2 to 7 working days to process.
ii) What is the fee for Malaysia Multiple entry visa?
Multiple entry visa fee is INR 3780. Imagine getting the entire amount as your cashback! Irrespective of your visa type, Blinkvisa gives you the entire fee as cashback.
1-Year Malaysia Multiple Entry Visa
If you wish to have a trip of more than a year to Malaysia then you can apply for Multiple entry visa for 1 year. This type of visa being a stamped visa, one needs to submit their passport as part of the requirement to get their visa.
i) What is the 1-year multiple entry visa fee?
The fee is INR 7790 including Blinkvisa charges and GST. The visa is valid for 1 whole year and you can enter multiple times. This type of visa is beneficial for those who wish to stay longer in Malaysia or need to go back and forth.
Documents required for Malaysia visa for Indians
In summary the documents needed for Malaysia visa for indians, common for all visa types are as follows:
- A passport valid for at least 6 months after entry into Malaysia, with at least three blank pages
- The visa application form filled with correct details and duly signed
- A confirmed return ticket to your home country
- Proof of accommodation (Details of hotel bookings or proof of address where you intend to reside)
- Two recent photographs
- Birth certificate (in case of a minor)
- No Objection Certificate from both parents (in case the minor is travelling alone)
If you are planning to visit Malaysia as a tourist or for a short social visit, a Malaysia eVisa might be your best bet.
1. Passport (front and back pages) with six months validity is a vital requirement.
Certain visas require additional documentation by the Immigration Department of Malaysia, such visas are called Visa with Reference. But as I applied for a tourist visa, I had to only submit my passport copies.
2. Scanned copy of your photograph as per Malaysia visa requirements
The Embassy has put strict rules pertaining to the photo specifications when it comes to applying for a Malaysian visa. Hence, it is vital to make sure you follow all the photo guidelines. Our agent at Blinkvisa will also aid in all kinds of modifications to the photo with regards to the specifications.
Malaysia photo size and specifications
- White background with size 35 mm X 50 mm
- Your face must be visible clearly and at least 3/4th of the photograph
- No head/face coverings are allowed (except for religious reasons)
- No glare or glossy finish. Eyeglasses can be worn
- Professional studio photograph. The guidelines do not allow selfies and cropped pictures.
- The photograph should not be more than 3 months old.
3. Proof of stay/accommodation – You must submit proof of where you will be accommodated during your stay period in Malaysia. You can even provide address proof of your relative/friends or hotel accommodation booking.
4. Proof of flight booking – Your flight itinerary is also important as this would detail the number of days you wish to stay and when you will return.
Do I need a confirmed flight ticket or hotel booking to get the Malaysia visa online?
Since I was worried about losing money, Blinkvisa helped me with temporary travel and hotel bookings. Which means, you can book hotel rooms and flight tickets according to your convenience preference and if by chance, unfortunately, your visa doesn’t come through you won’t be losing a significant amount of money!
Malaysia Visa On Arrival
Note: This article has been modified as per new rule changes in 2020 by the Malaysian government.
The process for obtaining a Malaysian Visa has been simplified by the Malaysian government in an effort to boost tourism. Consequently, the government has bought about new regulations, pertaining to electronic Visa (Malaysia eVisa) and Malaysia Visa on Arrival.
Can Indians Get Malaysia Visa On Arrival?
According to Blinkvisa.Com, Indians can get Malaysia visa on Arrival. But it is not the preferred type of Malaysia visa to get because of its restrictions. Such as
- Cost: One needs to pay USD 100
- Stay Period: This visa is given only for 7 days. The cheapest Malaysia visa (eNTRI) gives you a minimum of 14 days of Stay.
- Proof of Income: You need to have at least $1000 worth of RM with you in hand to be eligible for this visa which increases your conversion cost.
- Other visas: You must have visas from any of the following countries -Thailand, Indonesia or Singapore to be eligible for this visa.
Visa on Arrival is an entry permit given to a person on arrival into the country. This permit functions the same way a visa does and allows the individual to enter the country. A Malaysia Visa on arrival is the permit you get after entering Malaysia, in order to stay in the country. You have queue up at the immigration counter, pay for the visa and get the stamp of approval on your passport, all after reaching Malaysia. This visa is available to certain nationalities and at certain checkpoints only
Eligibility For A Malaysia Visa On Arrival?
Currently, the Malaysian government offers Visa on arrival for the citizens of only 2 countries, namely:
However, this is applicable only under the following conditions:
- You are arriving from Indonesia, Thailand or Singapore
- Hold a valid visa for either of these countries
- Have 1000 USD on you, as proof of your sustenance
- Willing to pay a 100 USD fee for processing the Visa on arrival
- If the above conditions are met you can apply for a Visa on arrival, at a particular checkpoint where Visa on arrival is processed.
Submit proof that you have enough money for sustenance during your stay in Malaysia. You need to have at least 1000 USD with you or a credit card issued by an international bank such as Citi or Amex.
- Show proof that you hold a return ticket to India.
- After rigorous checking and validation of all your documents, your Malaysia Visa on Arrival would be approved.
Entry Points For Malaysia Visa On Arrival Process
If arriving via flight, you can apply for a Visa on Arrival at any of the following airports:
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA)
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2)
- Bayan Lepas International Airport, Pulau Pinang
- Sultan Ismail, Senai Airport, Johor
- Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Sabah.
- Kuching International Airport, Sarawak.
If arriving through the land borders, you can apply at:
- Tuas – Sultan Abu Bakar Complex (Second Link) only
Requirements For Malaysia Visa On Arrival
Given below is the list of documents you need to submit to the Immigration counter, to get your Visa on Arrival.
- Your passport, with at least 6 months validity
- A valid travel visa for Indonesia, Singapore or Thailand
- Return ticket to India
- Bank statement showing 1000 USD deposits
Malaysia Visa On Arrival – Pros And Cons
- Convenience: Are you are a tourist vacationing in Singapore, whose next destination in Malaysia? Or is Malaysia the next stop on your business trip after Thailand? Then a Visa on Arrival offers convenience and ease, as you need not fill out a form and wait for days to get a separate visa. A Visa on Arrival is your best bet if you’re planning a short trip to Malaysia after visiting either of the eligible countries.
- Simplicity: The process to obtain a Malaysia Visa on Arrival is a relatively simple process. If you have a valid visa for Singapore, Thailand or Indonesia then you need just submit the visa processing fee and return ticket proof. You don’t require any extra documents apart from these.
- Time-saving: If you already hold a visa for Singapore or Indonesia then you can enter Malaysia directly, provided the conditions are met. It saves you a lot of time that would be lost applying for a separate visa for Malaysia. Submitting documents, filling registration forms, getting approval for a visa takes about 2 weeks. This precious time can be saved if you enter Malaysia directly.
- Higher Cost: A Malaysia Visa on Arrival has a processing fee of 100 USD. In comparison, a normal single entry or multiple entry visa which costs significantly less.
- Arrival: The Malaysia Visa on Arrival is valid only if you enter from Indonesia, Singapore or Thailand. If you are already vacationing there its convenient, however, if your travel plans do not have either of these countries on your list, then the visa is practical of no use.
- Sustenance money: It is mandated that if you enter Malaysia with a Visa on Arrival, then you must have a deposit of 1000 USD with you. This is to prove that you have enough to sustain yourself on your tour to Malaysia. The normal visa application has no such rules. You need not carry any minimum amount with you.
- Valid for a week: If you obtain a Visa on Arrival it would be valid for only 7 days. If your duration in Malaysia is more than a week then the Visa on Arrival is not for you. This time period is non-extendable
FAQ’s On Malaysia Visa On Arrival
1. How much do I need to pay for a Visa on Arrival?
The cost of processing a Visa on Arrival is 100 USD. In addition to this, you are required to have a minimum of 1000 USD as a deposit in your bank.
2. I’m a citizen of India, can I apply for Visa on Arrival for Malaysia?
Yes, but only under certain conditions. You can apply for Visa on Arrival if you already have a valid visa for Indonesia, Thailand or Singapore and are entering Malaysia via these countries.
3. Can I work in Malaysia with the Visa on Arrival?
No. It is impossible to work in Malaysia with a Visa on Arrival.
4. Can I convert my Visa on Arrival into a tourist or business visa?
No. It is impossible to convert the Visa on Arrival into any other type of Visa. The visa validity is for 7 days only and cannot be extended either.
12. Do I need to get vaccinated to travel to Malaysia?
Post COVID, you need to have proof of covid test 72 hours before your travel
Malaysia Work Visa (Employment Pass)
An Employment Pass is a permit granted by the Malaysian government, permitting a foreign national to work and earn a livelihood in Malaysia. Employment passes can be either long-term employment passes granted for a period of up to 5 years or temporary employment passes that are valid for any period less than 2 years. In addition to this, there are Professional visit passes granted to expatriates and valid for 6 months.
To apply for an Employment pass you need to be a minimum of 27 years old (23 if you are employed in the IT sector). And only those applicants are eligible, whose salaries are more than 5000 Malaysian Ringgit (RM).
Documents needed for Malaysia Work Visa
To apply for an Employment Pass, you will require the following:
- A Passport With At Least 6 Months Validity From The Date You Enter Malaysia
- Visa Application Form
- An Invitation/ Offer/ Acceptance Letter From A Malaysian Company Typed Out On Their Letterhead.
- Two Recent Photographs Of Size 35X45 Mm
- Three Months’ Bank Statements Showing A Minimum Deposit Of Rs 30,000
- Confirmed Flight Tickets
Malaysia work visa Fees
An application for Employment Visa Malaysia is Rs 5720. In addition to this, service charges of Rs 500 and DD making charges of Rs 100 will be charged to you.
Malaysia work visa processing time
The Immigration Department might take 1-2 months from the application date to approve the visa. After approval, the visa will be processed in about 5-6 working days.
How to apply for Malaysia Work Visa
For an employment visa, the company /organisation needs to apply for it on your behalf.
- Firstly, The Company Needs To Check Whether Or Not They Are Eligible To Hire Foreign Nationals Or Expatriates.
- Secondly, The Company Needs To Register And Log Into The Malaysia Expatriate Service Division (ESD) Website To Submit The Application Form.
- And Lastly, You Will Have To Wait For Visa Approval. The Application Will Take 1-2 Months To Get Approved By The Immigration Department. If Approved The Visa Will Reach You By 5-6 Days.
Malaysia Student Visa
A student visa is a permit granted by the Malaysian government, to a foreign national to pursue an education in any institution in Malaysia. Students need to apply for a visa well before their term starts. You can apply for a student visa directly through your institution, it is no longer necessary to apply under your local Malaysian Embassy.
Documents needed for Malaysia Student Visa
The following documents are required to apply for a student visa in Malaysia:
- The Student Visa Application Form, Filled And Duly Signed By The Applicant
- Offer Letter From The Educational Institution Of Your Choice, Approved By The Immigration Department Of Malaysia
- A Passport Valid For More Than A Year
- Two Recent Photographs
- Academic Records
- Health Certificate
- Bank Statements Or Any Other Proof To Show Your Financial Capability To Live In Malaysia
- Approval Letter From The Ministry Of Home Affairs
- A Security And Personal Bond
- Proof Of Malaysian Health Insurance (It Might Cost You Extra If You Do Not Already Have Insurance)
Malaysia Student visa Fee
Depending on your country, the Student Visa can be divided into:
- Personal Bond Document Fees: This Fee Ranges From 300 RM – 1500 RM
- Application Fee To Host University, Up To 200 RM (This Is Charged By Select Universities And Will Be Repaid To You After Completion Of The Term Of Study)
- Health Insurance Package: 500 RM To 850 RM
- Visa Fees 15 RM – 90 RM
- Yearly Student Pass Fee Which Is 60 RM
Malaysia Student visa Processing Time
It takes about 5-10 working days for the Immigration Department to check your application and process it.
How to Apply for Malaysia Student visa
- Firstly, You Need To Apply To The Educational Institution Of Your Choice. If You Are Accepted, Then The Institution Applies For A Student Pass On Your Behalf To The Director Of Pass And Permit Division In Malaysia.
- You Will Receive Confirmation Of Your Application Through The Institute Themselves. This Takes About 7 Working Days
- If Successful, You Need To Email The Institution All The Visa Documents Required.
- The Institution Will Receive An Approval Letter From The Immigration Department And Forward The Same To You.
- You Must Inform The Institution Of The Date And Time Of Your Arrival, Airport Location, Flight Number Etc. A Representative From Their Side Will Greet You At The Airport.
- Lastly, Submit Your Passport To The Immigration Department Of Malaysia, They Will Affix A Student Pass Sticker On Your Passport. This Will Be Done In About 2 Weeks.
Beware of Fake Malaysia visa agents and scams
First off, be careful of 10s of websites that are online and promise to get your Malaysia visa and once you have completed the payment, disappear altogether.
Ideally, make an advance payment of say 10 to 25% before your visa is approved. Once your Malaysia visa is approved, the agent will then provide you with your visa identification number which you can verify on the official government website and only then make full payment.
There are only two websites which we would recommend :
How To Verify The Status Of My Malaysia EVISA Or Malaysia ENTRI Visa For Indian Citizens?
So, Once you get your visa , always make sure you verify it on the official government website . If you do a search online you will see that many agents have given the customers photoshopped visa copy either to cheat them completely or because they made a typo when entering the visa information and have just photoshopped the correct value on top of the error. In both the cases you will be denied entry into Malaysia.
To verify your Malaysia visa, follow the below steps.
Enter your passport number and sticker number in the fields and fill the Captcha . Your visa Sticker number can be found as shown in the below image.
You should see the information as shown in the image if your visa is genuine.