Our image above could not be any more appropriate, when I visited the VFS office recently I was welcomed by gloomy suited faces whose eyes were fixated on the Schengen visa application forms which they were diligently filling out taking extra care to not make an error, with only a few of them being successful in that pursuit. I had to feel sorry for these people, but with further research they could have made it much easier by filling out their Schengen application form online and taking that to the consulate.
Update : It is now mandatory to get COVID Insurance when you travel Abroad. Click the below link to get your COVID Insurance at cost price.
You can apply for Schengen short stay visa online by following the below steps:
Download the Schengen short-stay visa application form.
This form is editable, which means you can fill the application form in the pdf itself. Once you have filled the form, you can then take a printout of the form. This saves you from the hassle of errors when you are filling out your Schengen visa form in writing. The whole form is about 3 pages when you download it. Also, print the form back to back.
Depending on the first Schengen country that you will be visiting, you can download the Schengen short-stay visa application from the below list. If you need some tips to fill your application, you can download our sample visa application.
Note that all the forms below are editable, which means you need to fill the form online and then download the form. You can also download it and fill it up with a pen. But we suggest you fill it online for better readability. All the Schengen countries use the same visa application form. So one should be good for all the countries.
- France tourist visa application form
- Germany tourist visa application form (Fill it online and download the form)
- Spain tourist visa application form
- Italy tourist visa application form
- Austria tourist visa application form
- Belgium tourist visa application form
- Greece tourist visa application form
- Iceland tourist visa application form
- Czech Republic tourist visa application form
- Denmark tourist visa application form
- Estonia tourist visa application form
- Finland tourist visa application form
- Hungary tourist visa application form
- Latvia tourist visa application form
- Liechtenstein tourist visa application form
- Lithuania tourist visa application form
- Luxembourg tourist visa application form
- Malta tourist visa application form
- Netherlands tourist visa application form
- Norway tourist visa application form
- Poland tourist visa application form
- Portugal tourist visa application form
- Slovakia tourist visa application form
- Slovenia tourist visa application form
- Sweden tourist visa application form
- Switzerland tourist visa application form
Get Flight, hotel & travel insurance @ just $60.60 !!
Which consulate should I apply for the Schengen visa?
This could be a little bit confusing. Since one Schengen visa will allow you to visit all the Schengen visa where should you apply for your Schengen visa? Which consulate should you apply your Schengen visa at?
Let us take an example where you are visiting 3 countries (Spain, Italy and Germany) for your Schengen trip for a total of 15 days. Then the consulate that you need to apply at depends on the following factors.
In which country are you spending most days in?
If you are spending 8 days in Spain, 3 days in Italy and the rest in Germany, then you need to apply for your Schengen visa at the Spain consulate. If you are Spending more than 5 days in any of the above countries, then you need to apply for Schengen visa in that consulate (for the above example)
If I am spending equal days in all the countries, then where should I apply for my Schengen tourist visa?
In that case, you need to apply for your tourist visa in the first country you are planning to visit. In the above example, if you are spending 5 days each in Spain, Italy and Germany, then you need to apply for Schengen visa in Spain consulate.
For How many days will I get the Schengen visa for? Will Schengen visa be valid for 3 whole months even if the number for days I travel is less?
NO. Although Schengen short-stay visa is granted for a maximum of 3 days, do not make the wrong assumption that you will be granted a visa for the whole 3 months. Schengen visa will be granted to you only for the specified number of days, and the specific dates that you have mentioned. So if you are travelling for 8 days in august 1st to August 8th then your visa will be granted for only those 8 days. After that, there is very little chance of extension. So plan your trip carefully
What are the documents I need to to keep prepared before I apply for Schengen visa?
- Passport valid for at least 3 months before your return
- Photos as per the requested specifications
- Personal cover letter explaining your details about the trip. You can use our sample personal cover letter for Schengen visa
- A medical insurance with a minimum cover of €30,000.There are ofcourse, many websites online which can provide you with an insurance. But keep in mind that these companies are insurance agents and it is in their interest to sell you the most expensive insurance . See our article to get the best travel insurance for Schengengen visa requirement.
- A confirmed Flight itinerary or Flight reservation for Schengen visa from a travel agent. A flight ticket need not be booked in advance for a visa. Once the visa is confirmed then a flight ticket may be purchased.Flight itinerary is a safer way of submitting a visa application without buying an actual flight ticket which is expensive if your visa is refused. In fact the European union visa requirements for visa states the same.As per the official document,
Round trip reservation or itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Schengen state. Some Schengen authorities accept the itinerary when applying for the visa but request the original air ticket when visa is collected.
Embassy does not hold responsibility for the expenses or loss incurred if you buy a flight ticket in advance and your visa application is cancelled. You can get your flight itinerary for Schengen visa online here.
- If you are planning to travel to any other country other than your main country, Then you need to have flight itineraries for each and every city in your plan. You can read everything about flight itinerary for visa application here.
- Hotel booking , hostel reservations for Schengen visa, Or any other country that you are planning to stay. So you will need to make all the hotel bookings and reservations before you leave. Again you can use an online travel agent to make hotel reservations for visa applications for you without you having to swipe your card. This may not seem important but when you factor in all the currency conversions, filling up each and every form and HUGE cancellation fee if you can’t make it to one place then it is always reasonable to get it done through online agents. An added benefit is most of the travel agents charge you about $50 for the entire trip and not for each and every booking, which is a bargain when you factor in currency conversion charges. Read our post about hotel booking for visa here.
to know more about schengen visa for indians then you can look at our article.