Update : We have created a new article which provides you with much more valuable content than what we have here . This article now contains older information and might not be much useful to you . Please click the below image to move view our latest article on this topic
=================Below is old content click above image to move onto new content==========
Should you buy a flight ticket before you apply for visa ?
This is a common doubt among various visa applicants. No one wants to risk loosing thousands of dollars if their visa is rejected, or suppose their plans change or just to be on the safer side.
Of course you don’t have to buy a flight ticket for the purpose of your visa application. You can instead present a flight itinerary for your visa and once you get your visa you can book your flight itinerary.
Flight reservation for Schengen visa means submitting a visa application without buying an actual flight ticket which is expensive if your visa is refused. In fact the European union visa requirements for visa states the same.
As per the official document,
Round trip reservation or itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Schengen state. Some Schengen authorities accept the itinerary when applying for the visa but request the original airticket when visa is collected.
If the travel agents around you are still using the old Amaedus system for flight ticket then you can ask them to make a flight reservation for visa, take a printout and submit it as proof of travel for your visa application.
But most of the travel agents now a days will be using the updated system where they can only make a direct booking but cannot generate you a flight itinerary for your visa purpose.
What does flight itinerary for visa application mean ?
A flight itinerary is the proposed route of an airline information such as flight name, departure/arrival timings along with dates, your flight code, departure/arrival airport IATA codes(Ex: FRA, BLR, SFC) and your flight reservation/booking numbers. A flight ticket is just a meta-description of your flight .
Here is how a condensed flight reservation for visa information looks like. Note that below is not the application that you need to submit.
Here is a sample flight reservation for visa only that is from a travel agent using an old GDS system such as Amaedus. This flight reservation is sufficient to get your visa .
Do you need to make a flight reservation for visa before applying for visa ?
No .You don’t need to book a flight ticket before you apply for a visa . We see this question asked often such as on stackexchange flight itinerary or on Quora section for flight itinerary when applying for visa application . The visa consulates also realise that the rejection rates for visa applications are remarkably high (Denmark at one point of time had only 35% acceptance rate).
It is not wise to expect visa applicants to actually buy the flight ticket and risk losing hundreds or in some cases thousands of dollars if the visa application is rejected. Then why do visa consulates ask for flight itinerary and reservations :
- To establish that you do have flights from your city to your destination.
- To validate your flight itinerary against your travel itinerary that you have submitted. If you have mentioned that you will be holidaying in France but your itinerary says Germany. Then something is fishy.
- When you apply for Schengen visa, then you must apply in the visa consulate of a country in which you would spend the most time in.
Ex : if you are holidaying for 20 days and plan to stay in France for 15 days . Then you should apply for your visa in the French consulate. But if you are spending 10 days in France and 10 days in Germany, then you will need to apply in that consulate where you would be landing first.
So to reiterate, please book your travel ticket once your visa application has been confirmed.
Here is another link which explains why it is not a good idea to get an air ticket before your visa has been approved.
How to get a flight booking for Schengen visa or make a flight reservation confirmation without buying an actual flight ticket ?
You have two options :
- Find a local travel agent who uses the old travel booking system where flight booking is a two step process ,where the first step is a reservation and the next step is booking.This usually comes at a price somewhere between $30 to $60 since the agent makes a commission only when he buys the ticket for you.
- Use our services of course !! When you buy a flight itinerary from our website you get the below benefits on top of getting the flight reservation for visa at the cheapest price possible since we have our own Amaedus system.
- Personal cover letter (travel itinerary for visa )
- leave/no objection letter (Needed to be signed by your employer saying he is ok with you travelling)
- Hotel bookings (proof of accommodation)
- Help in filling out the visa application with a free sample and tips on filling out your visa application online
With a guaranteed delivery of all your documents within the same day you buy our package, you are just a couple of steps away from submitting your application. See all our visa application packages and choose the right one for you.
If you want to get your flight itineraries today with free express delivery (within next 3 hours) , then our checkout form and with your requirements and we will take care of it for you.